Chief Engineer Killed as Projectile Hits Bulker Off Oman Coast
INTERCARGO confirms one death aboard the Minoan Dignity as Hormuz transits stay at a trickle

A seafarer was killed aboard a Greek-managed bulk carrier struck by an unknown projectile at the western approach to the Strait of Hormuz overnight between Monday and Tuesday, August 18, in the latest attack on merchant shipping in the waterway.
The vessel, the 76,800 dwt Minoan Dignity, was built in 2004, is registered in Liberia and was underway on the route close to the Omani coast. The ship was around half a nautical mile from Oman when it was hit on the starboard side, damaging the engine room. UK Maritime Trade Operations, alerted by third parties and the company security officer, said it had been unable to contact the vessel directly.
INTERCARGO confirmed the death of one crew member, believed to be the chief engineer. Security consultancy Vanguard Tech identified the fatality as the chief engineer and reported that two attempts to evacuate the ship had been unsuccessful, with the Omani Coast Guard responding to assist the crew.
INTERCARGO expressed "profound concern for the remaining crew and hoping for their safe evacuation," calling on all parties to respect international law and to safeguard civilian seafarers and merchant vessels. The association added that "seafarers are civilians and must never become targets or collateral victims of geopolitical conflicts."
The International Maritime Organization listed 17 confirmed fatalities as of August 11, and 65 confirmed incidents involving shipping in the Strait of Hormuz and the wider Middle East since the start of the conflict.
Martin Kelly, Head of Advisory at EOS Risk Group, noted that Iran had said it would begin imposing fees on the Strait of Hormuz once its 60-day agreement with the United States expired, which it did on Monday, August 17. A product tanker was stopped on Monday for taking the route near Oman without paying for services. Kelly identified the vessel as the Liberian-flagged Amara, 47,931 dwt, managed from the UAE. Its AIS shows it circling slowly near Iran's Qeshm island and transmitting the message "IND Crew/Owner." The incident followed the targeting of three tankers associated with ADNOC over the preceding week and weekend.
Transit volumes remain minimal. Kpler tracked three vessels exiting the Strait of Hormuz on Monday, after two on Sunday and three on Saturday, with no very large crude carriers or LNG carriers passing through.
Donald Trump wrote on Tuesday that "There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran," and said the naval blockade remains in full force and effect. CENTCOM reported on Monday that 64 ships had been redirected. Trump also stated that all water mines have been removed or detonated, and that the Hormuz Strait is open and operating.


